J Pediatr 2022 Jul 14;246:12-18.e2. Epub 2022 Apr 14.
Obstetric and Neonatal Operations, Department of Neonatology, Intermountain Healthcare, Murray, UT; Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah Health, Salt Lake City, UT.
Objectives: To investigate associations between nucleated red blood cell (NRBC) count in neonates with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), acute perinatal sentinel events, and neurodevelopmental outcomes and to examine the mechanism(s) causing elevated counts.
Study Design: We included newborn infants with HIE treated with therapeutic hypothermia with ≥3 NRBC counts during their neonatal intensive care unit hospitalization and neurodevelopmental evaluations at a mean of 24 ± 6 months.
Results: Ninety-five of 152 infants who met our study criteria (63%) had a normal NRBC count after birth, defined as ≤95th percentile of the upper reference interval, and the other 57 (37%) had an elevated count. Read More