Evaluating Giant Hydatid Cysts: Factors Affecting Mortality and Morbidity.

Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2020 Nov 6. Epub 2020 Nov 6.

Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Health Sciences Turkey, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey.

Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognostic factors affecting morbidity and mortality among patients who underwent surgery for giant pulmonary hydatid cysts in our center.

Methods: Data from 283 patients who underwent surgery in our center for pulmonary hydatid cyst between 2008 and 2018 were retrospectively analyzed. Cysts 10 cm in diameter or larger were considered giant hydatid cysts.

Results: There were 145 women (51.2%) and 138 men (48.8%). Giant cyst (≥10 cm) was present in 57 patients (20.1%), while the other 226 patients (79.9%) had cysts smaller than 10 cm. Operations were performed using videothoracoscopic approach in 68 patients (24%) and with thoracotomy in 215 patients (76%). Hydatid cysts were on the left side in 129 patients (45.6%), on the right side in 143 patients (50.5%), and bilateral in 11 patients (3.9%). Postoperative morbidity occurred in 29 patients (10.2%). Use of videothoracoscopic surgical approach did not affect morbidity. The mortality rate within the first 90 days was 0.35% (n = 1).

Conclusion: Giant cysts are more common in the young age group than in older adults. Regardless of cyst size, surgery should be performed as soon as possible after diagnosis to avoid potential complications.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.5761/atcs.oa.20-00178DOI Listing
November 2020

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

hydatid cysts
12
patients
10
underwent surgery
8
patients underwent
8
morbidity mortality
8
pulmonary hydatid
8
giant hydatid
8
cysts
6
hydatid
5
cysts left
4
patients 76%
4
505% bilateral
4
left side
4
76% hydatid
4
side 129
4
side 143
4
143 patients
4
456% side
4
215 patients
4
129 patients
4

Similar Publications