Open Replacement of the Thoracoabdominal Aorta: Short- and Long-term Outcomes at a Single Institution.

Authors:
Mohammad A Zafar, MBBS
Mohammad A Zafar, MBBS
Aortic Institute at Yale-New Haven Hospital
Research Director
New Haven, CT | United States

Int J Angiol 2018 Jun 23;27(2):114-120. Epub 2018 May 23.

Aortic Institute at Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut.

 Despite much progress in the surgical and endovascular treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic diseases (TAADs), there is no consensus regarding the optimal approach to minimize operative mortality and end-organ dysfunction. We report our experience in the past 16 years treating TAAD by open surgery.  A retrospective review of all TAAD patients who underwent an open repair since January 2000 was performed. The primary endpoints included early morbidity and mortality, and the secondary endpoints were overall death and rate of aortic reintervention.  There were 112 patients treated by open surgery for TAAD. Mean age was 66 ± 10 years and 61 (54%) were male. Seventy-seven (69%) patients had aneurysmal degeneration without aortic dissection and the remaining 35 (31%) had a concomitant aortic dissection. There were 12 deaths (10.7%) and they were equally distributed between the aneurysm and dissection groups (  = 0.8). The mortality for elective surgery was 3.2% (2/61). The rate of permanent paraplegia and stroke were each 2.6% (3/112). The rate of cerebrovascular accident was significantly higher in the dissection group (8.5% vs. 1.2%,  = 0.05). The survival at 1, 5, and 10 years was 80.6, 56.1, and 32.7%, respectively.  Our data confirm that open replacement of the thoracoabdominal aorta can be performed in expert centers quite safely. Different aortic pathologies (degenerative aneurysm vs. dissection) do not influence the short- and long-term outcomes. Open surgery should still be considered the standard in the management of TAAD.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1649517DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5995682PMC
June 2018
7 Reads

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

open surgery
12
short- long-term
8
aortic dissection
8
long-term outcomes
8
thoracoabdominal aorta
8
aneurysm dissection
8
replacement thoracoabdominal
8
open replacement
8
open
6
dissection
5
aortic
5
remaining 31%
4
patients aneurysmal
4
31% concomitant
4
aneurysmal degeneration
4
degeneration aortic
4
dissection remaining
4
107% equally
4
groups  = 08
4
 = 08 mortality
4

Similar Publications