Smoking prevalance and the degree of nicotine dependence among healthcare workers at the ataturk university medical facility.

Eurasian J Med 2010 Aug;42(2):74-7

Department of Medical Education, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey.

Objective: In this study, we aimed to investigate smoking prevalence and the degree of nicotine dependence in our hospital healthcare workers.

Materials And Methods: This study was conducted between January 2008 and June 2008 in our hospital (Medical Facility of Atatürk University). A total of 691 (370 females, 321 males) subjects were included in this study. A questionnaire, including demographic findings, tobacco consumption information and the Fagerström nicotine dependence test, was distributed to healthcare workers and collected.

Results: The questionnaire was answered by 691 health workers, 46.5% of whom were male, and 53.5% of whom were female. Overall, the rate of smoking was 36.9%; 48% of males and 27.6% of females were current smokers. When classified according to clinic, the greatest rate of smoking was in the psychiatry clinic (60.0%), and the lowest rate of smoking was in the ear, nose and throat (ENT) Clinic (0.0%). Thirty-four percent of nurses, 18.7% of doctors, 45.5% of officers, and 50.4% of ancillary staff were smokers. According to education level, 50% of the cases (smokers) graduated from primary school, 45% of the cases graduated from high school and 26.9% of the cases graduated from university. The major reason for the initiation of smoking was attention-seeking behavior. The age at smoking initiation was 7 to 20 years in 83.9% of cases and 21 to 35 years in the remaining 16.1%. Thirty-five percent of smokers had very low levels of dependence, while 11.9% had very high levels dependence. Ninety-two percent of cases indicated they would prefer to work at a smoke-free hospital. Ninety-five percent of cases would support making this facility a smoke-free hospital.

Conclusion: The smoking rate was 36.9% amongst our hospital health workers. Smoking prevalence was higher in males (48%) than females (27.6%). The greatest smoking rate was amongst ancillary staff. Ninety-five percent of healthcare workers were supportive of a law requiring hospitals to be smoke-free.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.5152/eajm.2010.21DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4261341PMC
August 2010

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

rate smoking
12
healthcare workers
12
nicotine dependence
12
smoking
10
smoking rate
8
health workers
8
cases graduated
8
smoking prevalence
8
ninety-five percent
8
degree nicotine
8
percent cases
8
levels dependence
8
medical facility
8
ancillary staff
8
cases
6
percent
5
workers
5
dependence
5
rate
5
50% cases
4

Similar Publications