Is there any difference between acetylator phenotypes in tuberculosis patients and healthy subjects?

Eur J Clin Pharmacol 2010 Mar;66(3):261-7

Department of Pharmacotherapy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran.

Background And Purpose: Many studies have been done to determine the distribution of acetylator phenotypes among populations of different geographic origin. The goal of this study was to investigate the acetylator phenotypes of the Iranian population and compare them between tubercular patients and healthy subjects.

Methods: The study population consisted of two groups; the first group included 100 newly diagnosed tubercular patients and the second group consisted of 100 healthy subjects. Acetylator phenotype was determined from the metabolic ratio of acetyl-isoniazid to isoniazid in the plasma samples. Metabolic ratio was used to classify subjects as slow (= or < 0.70) or fast acetylators (>0.70).

Results: In the tubercular patients, the frequencies of slow and fast acetylator phenotypes were 62 and 38%, respectively. Of the healthy individuals, 45% were found to be slow acetylators and the remaining 55% were fast acetylators.

Conclusion: It seems that tubercular patients metabolize isoniazid more slowly than healthy individuals.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00228-009-0745-1DOI Listing
March 2010

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

acetylator phenotypes
16
tubercular patients
16
healthy individuals
8
patients healthy
8
metabolic ratio
8
patients
5
healthy
5
classify subjects
4
determined metabolic
4
phenotype determined
4
acetylator phenotype
4
ratio classify
4
ratio acetyl-isoniazid
4
plasma samples
4
samples metabolic
4
acetyl-isoniazid isoniazid
4
isoniazid plasma
4
100 healthy
4
newly diagnosed
4
100 newly
4

Similar Publications