Exclusion of multiple candidate genes and large genomic rearrangements in SCN5A in a Dutch Brugada syndrome cohort.

Heart Rhythm 2007 Jun 2;4(6):752-5. Epub 2007 Mar 2.

Center for Heart Failure Research, Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Background: The Brugada syndrome is an inherited cardiac electrical disorder associated with a high incidence of life-threatening arrhythmias. Screening for mutations in the cardiac Na+ channel-encoding gene SCN5A uncovers a mutation in approximately 20% of Brugada syndrome cases. Genetic heterogeneity and/or undetected SCN5A mutations, such as exon duplications and deletions, could be involved in the remaining 80% mutation-negative patients.

Objectives: Thirty-eight SCN5A mutation-negative Dutch Brugada syndrome probands were studied. The SCN5A gene was investigated for exon duplication and deletion, and a number of candidate genes (Caveolin-3, Irx-3, Irx-4, Irx-5, Irx-6, Plakoglobin, Plakophilin-2, SCN1B, SCN2B, SCN3B, and SCN4B) were tested for the occurrence of point mutations and small insertions/deletions.

Methods: We used a quantitative multiplex approach to determine SCN5A exon copy numbers. Mutation analysis of the candidate genes was performed by direct sequencing of polymerase chain reaction-amplified coding regions.

Results: No large genomic rearrangements in SCN5A were identified. No mutations were found in the candidate genes. Twenty novel polymorphisms were identified in these genes.

Conclusion: Large genomic rearrangements in SCN5A are not a common cause of Brugada syndrome. Similarly, the studied candidate genes are unlikely to be major causal genes of Brugada syndrome. Further studies are required to identify other genes responsible for this syndrome.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2007.02.021DOI Listing
June 2007
3 Reads

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

brugada syndrome
24
candidate genes
20
large genomic
12
genomic rearrangements
12
rearrangements scn5a
12
scn5a
8
dutch brugada
8
syndrome
7
genes
7
brugada
6
candidate
5
investigated exon
4
gene investigated
4
scn5a gene
4
genes twenty
4
mutations candidate
4
exon duplication
4
duplication deletion
4
regionsresults large
4
deletion number
4

Similar Publications