Phase I/II trial of nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone in the treatment of newly diagnosed aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 2006 Jul;7(1):59-64

Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA.

Background: The toxicity and efficacy of nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin (TLC D-99) when substituted for conventional doxorubicin in the CHOP (doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide/vincristine/prednisone) regimen were evaluated in the treatment of newly diagnosed patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Liposomal doxorubicin at doses of 40 mg/m2, 50 mg/m2, 60 mg/m2, and 80 mg/m2 was given with fixed doses of cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone. Chemotherapy cycles were repeated every 21 days.

Patients And Methods: Forty-seven patients with a median age of 55 years (range, 25-83 years) were studied.

Results: No dose-limiting toxicities were observed at any level. Reversible grade 3/4 neutropenia was the most common toxicity (95.8%). Most nonhematologic side effects were grade 1/2 in severity. Complete remissions were documented in 31 of 46 evaluable patients (67.4%) and partial remissions in 7 (15.2%), for an overall major response rate of 82.6%. The median duration of complete remission is > or = 27.7 months (range, 2.4 months to > or = 59.8 months). An exploratory objective was to correlate multidrug resistance-1 (MDR-1) expression with outcome. Immunohistochemistry for MDR-1-related p-glycoprotein was assessed in lymphoma tissues from 27 patients. Of the 27 lymphoma tissues studied, 8 (30%) were MDR-1 positive at diagnosis. The complete response rate was 63% in MDR-1-positive lymphomas and 74% in the MDR-1-negative cases (P = 0.66).

Conclusion: Nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin in combination with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone is an active regimen for patients with newly diagnosed, aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The regimen is relatively well tolerated, with hematologic suppression as the major toxicity. Liposomal encapsulation might evade resistance caused by MDR-1 expression.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.3816/CLM.2006.n.040DOI Listing
July 2006
7 Reads

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

liposomal doxorubicin
16
nonpegylated liposomal
12
newly diagnosed
12
cyclophosphamide vincristine
12
vincristine prednisone
12
aggressive non-hodgkin's
12
mg/m2 mg/m2
12
non-hodgkin's lymphoma
12
treatment newly
8
response rate
8
mdr-1 expression
8
diagnosed aggressive
8
lymphoma tissues
8
doxorubicin
5
patients
5
lymphoma
5
liposomal
5
complete remission
4
remission 277
4
277 months
4

Similar Publications