Validation of dye-binding/high-resolution thermal denaturation for the identification of mutations in the SLC22A5 gene.

Hum Mutat 2005 Mar;25(3):306-13

Idaho Technology, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.

Primary carnitine deficiency is an autosomal recessive disorder of fatty acid oxidation resulting from defective carnitine transport. This disease is caused by mutations in the OCTN2 carnitine transporter encoded by the SLC22A5 gene. Here we validate dye-binding/high-resolution thermal denaturation as a screening procedure to identify novel mutations in this gene. This procedure is based on the amplification of DNA by PCR in capillaries with the dsDNA binding dye LCGreen I. The PCR reaction is then analyzed in the same capillary by high-resolution thermal denaturation. Samples with abnormal melting profiles are sequenced. This technique correctly identified all known patients who were compound heterozygotes for different mutations in the carnitine transporter gene and about 30% of homozygous patients. The remaining 70% of homozygous patients were identified by a second amplification, in which the patient's DNA was mixed with the DNA of a normal control. This screening system correctly identified eight novel mutations and both abnormal alleles in six new families with primary carnitine deficiency. The causative role of the missense mutations identified (c.3G>T/p.M1I, c.695C>T/p.T232M, and c.1403 C>G/p.T468R) was confirmed by expression in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells. These results expand the mutational spectrum in primary carnitine deficiency and indicate dye-binding/high-resolution thermal denaturation as an ideal system to screen for mutations in diseases with no prevalent molecular alteration.

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/humu.20137DOI Listing
March 2005
11 Reads

Publication Analysis

Top Keywords

thermal denaturation
16
carnitine deficiency
12
primary carnitine
12
dye-binding/high-resolution thermal
12
homozygous patients
8
carnitine transporter
8
slc22a5 gene
8
correctly identified
8
novel mutations
8
mutations
7
carnitine
6
expand mutational
4
identified patients
4
identified
4
chinese hamster
4
sequenced technique
4
technique correctly
4
profiles sequenced
4
compound heterozygotes
4
mutational spectrum
4

Altmetric Statistics

References

(Supplied by CrossRef)

Abrams et al.
Genomics 1990

Amat Di San Filippo et al.
J Biol Chem 2004

Boles et al.
J Pediatr 1998

Fukao et al.
Hum Mutat 2003

Gundry et al.
Clin Chem 2003

Koizumi et al.
Hum Mol Genet 1999

Lamhonwah et al.
Am J Med Genet 2002

Liew et al.
Clin Chem 2004

McKinney et al.
Mol Genet Metab 2004

Nataraj et al.
Electrophoresis 1999

Nezu et al.
Nat Genet 1999

Similar Publications