Publications by authors named "Yu Kurata"

9 Publications

  • Page 1 of 1

The role of hypoxia in the pathogenesis of lupus nephritis.

Kidney Int 2020 10 26;98(4):821-823. Epub 2020 Jun 26.

Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan. Electronic address:

View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.kint.2020.06.008DOI Listing
October 2020

Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor in the treatment of anemia in chronic kidney disease.

Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2020 07;29(4):414-422

Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.

Purpose Of Review: Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors (HIF-PHIs) are orally active small molecules and are launched as novel therapeutic agents for anemia in chronic kidney disease (CKD). In contrast to conventional exogenous erythropoietin (EPO) administration, HIF-PHIs stimulate endogenous EPO production and improve iron metabolism via stabilization of hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF). This review summarizes the mechanism of action, the results of clinical trials, and future perspectives of HIF-PHIs.

Recent Findings: Six HIF-PHIs are currently under phase III studies, some of which have been already completed. According to the results of clinical trials, HIF-PHIs increased and maintained hemoglobin levels in both nondialysis-dependent and dialysis-dependent CKD patients with physiological EPO concentrations. HIF-PHIs also improved iron utilization and were comparably effective regardless of underlying inflammation and iron status.

Summary: HIF-PHIs have several advantages including oral administration, physiological EPO secretion, and improved iron utilization. Undoubtedly, HIF-PHIs will pave the new way in the field of treatment of anemia in CKD, but it should be noted that HIFs have pleiotropic effects on a plethora of cellular functions, which might lead to either beneficial or undesirable off-target effects. Intensive postmarketing surveillance is crucially important to identify unexpected consequences.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MNH.0000000000000617DOI Listing
July 2020

Prolyl hydroxylase domain inhibitors: a new era in the management of renal anemia.

Ann Transl Med 2019 Dec;7(Suppl 8):S334

Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.

View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.21037/atm.2019.09.118DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6976456PMC
December 2019

Incidence and risk factors of contrast-induced nephropathy after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in hepatocellular carcinoma.

Clin Exp Nephrol 2019 Sep 10;23(9):1141-1146. Epub 2019 Jun 10.

Division of Internal Medicine, Mitsui Memorial Hospital, 1 Kanda-izumi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 1018643, Japan.

Background: Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization (TACE) is widely used for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). The purpose of this study was to investigate incidence and risk factors of contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN) after TACE in patients with HCC.

Methods: In this single-center retrospective study, we examined 461 consecutive TACE sessions in 260 patients between January 2003 and October 2015. CIN was defined as an increase in serum creatinine levels by ≥ 0.5 mg/dl or ≥ 25% from baseline within 72 h after TACE. We calculated incidence rate of CIN and tried to identify its risk factors by logistic regression analysis.

Results: Twenty-one cases of CIN (5%) were observed in 461 TACE sessions. One patient required subsequent hemodialysis transiently. In univariate analysis, tumor size > 5 cm [odds ratio (OR) 5.76, 95% confidence interval (CI) 2.34-14.14, p < 0.001], chronic kidney disease (OR 2.54, 95% CI 1.05-6.14, p = 0.04), serum hemoglobin level [OR 0.79 (per 1 g/dl increase), 95% CI 0.64-0.98, p = 0.03] and serum albumin level [OR 0.44 (per 1 g/dl increase), 95% CI 0.19-1.02, p = 0.05] were associated with the development of CIN. Stepwise logistic regression methods showed that tumor size > 5 cm (OR 7.81, 95% CI 2.99-20.46, p < 0.001) and serum albumin [OR 0.29 (per 1 g/dl increase), 95% CI 0.11-0.75, p = 0.01] were risk factors of CIN.

Conclusions: In this study, HCC tumor size and lower serum albumin level were independent predictors of CIN after TACE.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10157-019-01751-4DOI Listing
September 2019

Extraperitoneal Placement of a Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter.

Intern Med 2019 Jan 24;58(1):147-148. Epub 2018 Aug 24.

Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, The University of Tokyo, Japan.

View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.1396-18DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6367099PMC
January 2019

Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Prevalence of Cardiovascular Disease in Hemodialysis Patients.

Ther Apher Dial 2018 Oct 10;22(5):514-518. Epub 2018 Jul 10.

Division of Internal Medicine, Mitsui Memorial Hospital, Tokyo, Japan.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)/arachidonic acid (AA) ratio showed inverse associations with cardiovascular disease (CVD) in general population. However, this has not been examined enough in dialysis patients. We cross-sectionally investigated the relationship between EPA/AA ratio and prevalence of CVD in 321 chronic hemodialysis patients (64 ± 11 years old; 110 women; dialysis vintage 10 ± 8 years) in an urban area of Tokyo. CVD was defined as a composite of ischemic heart disease, ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. The frequency of dietary fish intake was also examined. Logistic regression was used to quantify the association of EPA/AA ratio with CVD. EPA/AA ratio was 0.31 ± 0.19 and 154 patients (48%) consumed fish once or less weekly. One hundred and thirty patients (41%) had CVD, including 65 with ischemic heart disease, 70 with ischemic stroke, and 20 with hemorrhagic stroke. Age (odds ratio [OR], 1.04; P = 0.01), hypertension (OR, 2.25; P = 0.002), and dialysis vintage (OR, 1.04; P = 0.02) were associated with CVD; however, EPA/AA was not after adjustment for other risk factors. A similar relationship was observed between fish intake and CVD prevalence. We did not find any significant association between EPA/AA ratio and prevalence of CVD, although traditional risk factors such as age, hypertension and dialysis vintage were associated with CVD. These results might have been influenced by the fact that only a small proportion of our patients showed a high EPA/AA ratio.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1744-9987.12677DOI Listing
October 2018

High PR3-ANCA positivity in a patient with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.

eNeurologicalSci 2017 Mar 5;6:4-5. Epub 2016 Oct 5.

Department of Neurology, Mitsui Memorial Hospital, Tokyo, Japan.

Proteinase 3 anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (PR3-ANCA) is reported to be highly specific to vasculitis compared to myeloperoxidase (MPO)-ANCA. We report a case of a 19-year-old woman with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) with high PR3-ANCA positivity. The patient responded well to intravenous immunoglobulin plus oral steroid, and showed no signs of systemic vasculitis during the subsequent 10 months of follow-up. Our present case suggests that CIDP may accompany high PR3-ANCA levels, which should be differentiated from axonal neuropathy due to vasculitis.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ensci.2016.10.001DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5721574PMC
March 2017

Silica-based PLC with heterogeneously-integrated PDs for one-chip DP-QPSK receiver.

Opt Express 2012 Dec;20(26):B264-9

NTT Photonics Laboratories, NTT Corporation, 3-1, Morinosato-Wakamiya, Atsugi, Kanagawa, Japan.

To realize a DP-QPSK receiver PLC, we heterogeneously integrated eight high-speed PDs on a silica-based PLC platform with a PBS, 90-degree optical hybrids and a VOA. The use of a 2.5%-Δ waveguide reduced the receiver PLC size to 11 mm x 11 mm. We successfully demonstrated 32 Gbaud DP-QPSK signal demodulation with the receiver PLC.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.20.00B264DOI Listing
December 2012

Refractive index control and Rayleigh scattering properties of transparent TiO2 nanohybrid polymer.

J Phys Chem B 2009 Jul;113(30):10143-8

Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials, Tohoku University, 2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8577, Japan.

The surface of TiO2 nanoparticles (NPs) was modified by a coupling agent of 2-(3,4-epoxycyclohexyl)ethyltrimethoxysilane to render them highly compatible with organic monomer mixtures avoiding aggregation. Such TiO2 NPs were then chemically attached with a prepolymer. The refractive index of hybrid TiO2 NPs-polymer was increased dramatically in comparison with that of pure polymer, and it can be controlled by adjusting the content of TiO2 NPs. The Rayleigh scattering of hybrid TiO2 NPs-polymer was size-dependent and increased with the increase of the TiO2 NPs content. When Rayleigh scattering of the hybrid material prepared with a milling and centrifuge process was significantly lowered, one can obtain a transparent sample, which is good for optical devices.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp902598fDOI Listing
July 2009