Publications by authors named "Stavros Malagaris"

1 Publications

  • Page 1 of 1

Hippocrates Quoted "If an Empyema Does Not Rupture, Death Will Occur": Is Medical Thoracoscopy Able to Make It Rupture Safely?

J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2017 Jan;24(1):15-20

Departments of *Thoracic Surgery ‡General Surgery, General Oncology Hospital of Kifissia "Agioi Anargyroi", Kifissia, Athens, Greece Departments of †Respiratory Medicine §Thoracic Surgery, King's College Hospital, London ∥Department of Thoracic Surgery, Nottingham University Hospital, Nottingham, UK.

Background: The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of medical thoracoscopy through a single port [single-port medical thoracoscopy (S-MT)] for the treatment of empyema thoracis in its early stages.

Methods: We performed a retrospective analysis reviewing the medical records of 84 patients referred for empyema and treated by medical thoracoscopy at our Thoracic Departments from January 2001 until November 2014. S-MT was performed under local anesthesia with neuroleptoanalgesia and spontaneous breathing using a single 1-cm incision for debridement and lavage of the pleural cavity.

Results: A total of 84 patients underwent S-MT for pleural empyema stage I (9 patients, 10.7%) or II (75 patients, 89.3%). Median age was 61.8 years (range, 18 to 84 y). Male to female ratio was 3.76. Surgery was performed 5 to 26 days after the onset of symptoms. Macroscopically complete debridement of the pleural cavity was achieved in 71 patients (84.5% of cases). The rest 15.5% of cases required video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery or open decortication due to trapped-lung syndrome. Median operation time was 45 minutes (range, 30 to 94 min). No intraoperative complications occurred. In-hospital mortality was zero, whereas in-hospital morbidity rate was 16.7%. Median hospital stay was 7.8 days (range, 3 to 18 days). Recurrence rate was 4.8% as 4 patients experienced a relapse of empyema.

Conclusion: It seems that S-MT is a minimally invasive, safe and effective procedure for the treatment of pleural empyema with very good results in early stages of the disease and reduced time of hospital stay.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/LBR.0000000000000310DOI Listing
January 2017
-->