Publications by authors named "Sigrid Wiesner"

2 Publications

  • Page 1 of 1

Evaluation of treatment options for postoperative and spontaneous chylothorax in adults.

Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2021 May 17. Epub 2021 May 17.

Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Medical Center Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany.

:

Objectives: Both postoperative and spontaneous chylothorax remain therapeutic challenges without recommendations for a standardized treatment approach. Regardless of its aetiology, patients with chylothorax experience prolonged hospitalization and suffer from the associated complications or the invasive therapy administered.

Methods: We conducted a retrospective, observational review of adult patients with chylothorax treated between January 2010 and September 2019. The primary end point was successful management with sustained cessation and/or controlled chylous output. Therapy duration, inpatient stay and the incidence of complications were evaluated as secondary end points.

Results: Of the 36 patients included (22 men; median age 63 years), 24 patients (67%) suffered from a postoperative accumulation of chylous fluid in the pleural space; in the remaining 12 (33%) patients, chylothoraces occurred spontaneously. Initial conservative treatment was successful in 42% (n = 15); in the other 20 cases (56%) additional invasive therapeutic strategies were followed. A complicated course requiring more than 1 treatment was seen in 54% (n = 13) of the postoperative and in 58% (n = 7) of the spontaneous cases. The median length of hospitalization was significantly longer in the postoperative group (37.5 vs 15.5 days; P = 0.016). Serious complications were observed only in the postoperative group (P = 0.28). There were no in-hospital deaths.

Conclusions: Basic treatment of both postoperative and spontaneous chylothorax should include dietary measures in all patients. Additional sclerosing radiotherapy and interventional or surgical therapy are often necessary. The choice of therapeutic approach should be indicated, depending on the aetiology and development of the chylothorax. Early, multimodal treatment is recommended.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivab127DOI Listing
May 2021

Complicated chylous pericardial and thoracic effusion as the first clinical manifestation of thoracic lymphatic malformation.

Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2020 04;30(4):654-655

Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Medical Center Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany.

Lymphatic malformations are benign focal proliferations of lymphatic vessels with a congenital origin. We present a case of an 18-year-old patient with post-traumatic chylopericardium and recurrent left-sided chylothorax, who was unresponsive to a variety of therapeutic measures until he was diagnosed with a complicated thoracic lymphatic malformation.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivz301DOI Listing
April 2020
-->