Publications by authors named "Jigyasa Gupta"

2 Publications

  • Page 1 of 1

Prevalence and follow-up of subclinical rheumatic heart disease among asymptomatic school children in a north-western district of India based on the World Heart Federation echocardiographic criteria.

Echocardiography 2021 07 28;38(7):1173-1178. Epub 2021 May 28.

Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA.

Background: The present study is based on the World Heart Federation (WHF) echocardiographic criteria to assess the prevalence of subclinical rheumatic heart disease (RHD) and elucidate evolution of the disease when the cases were placed on appropriate antibiotic prophylaxis and regular follow-up. The prevalence of subclinical RHD reported by previous active surveillance studies among asymptomatic school children is not comparable to our study because of major differences in screening methods.

Methods: A random inclusion strategy was adopted to recruit urban and rural school children of Bikaner district in the state of Rajasthan, India. The diagnosis of RHD was based on the echocardiographic criteria proposed by the WHF. All studies were reported on-site by a single experienced cardiologist and the digitally preserved studies were reported by a second cardiologist off-site. The final diagnosis was made by consensus. The second echocardiogram was performed for cases diagnosed with RHD after two years from start of study to document early evolution of the disease with ongoing antibiotic prophylaxis.

Results: A high prevalence of subclinical RHD was observed in the study population. Pathological mitral and/or aortic valve regurgitation was the commonest lesion, and a significant proportion of cases improved while on regular antibiotic prophylaxis. No case showed fixity of leaflets/ stenosis.

Conclusion: The prevalence of subclinical RHD is high in the study population, and the disease seems to regress over time in the presence of appropriate antibiotic prophylaxis.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/echo.15035DOI Listing
July 2021

Awareness about breast cancer in males in urban area of Delhi.

J Family Med Prim Care 2020 Apr 30;9(4):1999-2001. Epub 2020 Apr 30.

Department of Biochemistry, Manav Rachna Dental College, Faridabad, Haryana, India.

Background: Breast cancer in males is still an issue that is not known to majority of the population across the globe. People in general are not aware that breast cancer can occur in males too as increasing campaigns are done to raise awareness in females.

Objective: To assess the level of awareness of male breast cancer (MBC) in males of urban population residing in the Soami Nagar colony, Panchsheel, New Delhi.

Methodology: A cross sectional survey was conducted through a self-administered questionnaire to know the awareness of the occurrence of MBC, its diagnosis and criticality.

Results: It was found that only 19% of men were aware of the fact that breast cancer can occur in males as well and remaining 81% were ignorant.

Conclusion: Because a whopping 81% of the surveyed population did not know that breast cancer could even occur in males, they were made aware about all the symptoms to look for and not to ignore any sort of bulge/lumps/knots that they may feel in their breast region or under the armpits. Findings of this study would serve as a baseline to focus on making people aware of this life threatening problem. Increased awareness of MBC would help males to discuss the problem in initial phase and reach out to primary health care physicians for early diagnosis and treatment.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_1098_19DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7346897PMC
April 2020
-->