Publications by authors named "Hayriye Vehid Ertem"

2 Publications

  • Page 1 of 1

Serum level of vitamin D and trace elements in children with recurrent wheezing: a cross-sectional study.

BMC Pediatr 2014 Oct 16;14:270. Epub 2014 Oct 16.

Department of Pediatrics, Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Capa, 34390 Istanbul, Turkey.

Background: We aimed to show the relationship between recurrence of wheezing and serum levels of vitamin D, zinc, and copper in wheezy children compared with a healthy group.

Methods: In this cross sectional study, seventy-three children with wheezing and seventy-five controls were included without a follow-up period. The clinical characteristics of the children were assessed, the asthma predictive index and temporal pattern of wheeze were determined. The serum levels of vitamin D, zinc, and copper were measured. Pearson correlation analysis was used to evaluate the relationship between homogeneously distributed variables.

Results: Thirty-two of the seventy-three children (43.8%) had more than three wheezing attacks (recurrent wheezing). The Asthma Predictive Index index was positive in 26 patients (35.6%). When classified to temporal pattern of wheeze, fifty-three of the study group (72.6%) had episodic wheezing and the remainder (27.4%) was classified as multiple-trigger wheezing. We found no overall significant difference between the study and control group in terms of vitamin D and trace elements . The vitamin D and zinc levels were significantly lower and serum copper and copper/zinc ratio was significantly higher in patients with recurrent wheezing (p =0.03, p <0.01, p =0.013, p <0.01, respectively) positive Asthma Predictive Index and multiple-trigger temporal pattern of wheeze compared with patients with non- recurrent wheezing, negative Asthma Predictive Index and episodic temporal pattern of wheeze.

Conclusion: It may be postulated that for the determination of asthma risk in patients with recurrent wheezing, the serum level of vitamin D, copper and zinc can be used as a routine biomarker alongside the Asthma Predictive Index and temporal pattern of wheeze.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2431-14-270DOI Listing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4286924PMC
October 2014

Elevated hair levels of cadmium and lead in school children exposed to smoking and in highways near schools.

Clin Biochem 2007 Jan 12;40(1-2):52-6. Epub 2006 Aug 12.

Institute of Child Health, Istanbul University, Capa 34093, Istanbul, Turkey.

Objectives: Heavy metal pollution has become a serious health concern in recent years. Cadmium (Cd) and Lead (Pb) are toxic heavy metals. This study was aimed to determine the risk factors for high cadmium and lead levels in school children.

Design And Methods: The scalp hair samples were obtained from 760 children at 13 schools in Istanbul. A questionnaire was prepared to gather information about demographic and socioeconomic characteristics of the children. Hair cadmium and lead concentrations were determined by atomic absorption spectrophotometer.

Results: Household exposure to smoking and attending a school near to Main Streets were found to be the most important risk factors for the high hair cadmium and lead levels in our study.

Conclusion: These findings support the public health recommendations that children should not have household exposure to smoking, schools should not be near to the main streets and unleaded gasoline use should be promoted.
View Article and Find Full Text PDF

Download full-text PDF

Source
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2006.07.006DOI Listing
January 2007
-->